Tuesday, 12 December 2017

Monastery of St Francis (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 427.

Monastery of St Francis was erected in the year 1235 Ralph le Porter having given the site in that part of the city now called Francis street and King Henry HI patronizing the building AD 1293 King Edward I granted a pension of thirty five marcs yearly to the Franciscans of Dublin Waterford Cork Limerick and Drogheda AD 1308 John le Decer mayor of Dublin built a chapel in this monastery in honor of the Virgin Mary AD 1309 Roger de Heton guardian of the order in Dublin and Walter de Prendergast lecturer of the same were witnesses against the knights Templar A provincial chapter was held in this year in the monastery of St Francis AD 1332 died their generous benefactor John le Decer and was interred in this monastery In the twenty fourth of Henry VHL the convent with its appurtenances four houses in Francis street and six acres of meadow near Clondalkin was granted to Thomas Stephens to be held in capite forever at the annual rent of 2s Irish The Franciscans are again established in Dublin and have erected a splendid church on Merchant's quay

The friary of St Saviour (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 426-7

The friary of St Saviour on the north bank of the river Liffey near the old bridge and now called king's inns This house was founded between the years 1202 and 1218 by William Mareschall the elder earl of Pembroke for the health of his soul and that of his wife Albinus bishop of Ferns who exposed the infamies of English ecclesiastics at the synod held in Christ church under John Comyn and Hugh bishop of Ossory being the witnesses of the charter This house was founded for Cistercians But the Dominicans coming into Ireland AD 1224 the monks of St Mary's gave it to accommodate them on condition that they should yearly on the feast of the nativity offer a lighted taper at the abbey of St Mary as an acknowledgment that this monastery did originally belong to the Cistercian order AD 1238 this church was dedicated to St Saviour AD 1264 Friar John was appointed master of the order AD 1281 general chapters of the order were held here AD 1304 the church was consumed by an accidental fire AD 1308 John le Decer was mayor of Dublin in this year he was remarkably liberal to this monastery On the sixth day in every week he entertained the friars of this house at his own table AD 1309 Richard Balbyn who had been some time minister of this order in Ireland Philip de Slane lecturer of the order and Friar Hugh were appointed commissioners on the trial of the knights Templar AD 1316 on the approach of Edward Bruce with his army the citizens of Dublin destroyed the church of this friary converting its materials to the building of the city walls towards the quay The king Edward II commanded the mayor and citizens of Dublin to restore the church to its former state AD 1328 the lord Arnold Poer who was accused of heresy died this year in the castle of Dublin and lay a long time unburied in this monastery AD 1361 on St Maur's day the steeple of this church was destroyed by a violent tempest The last prior Patrick Hay surrendered to the royal commissioners and quitted the monastery Sir Thomas Cusack was granted its possessions in the county of Meath consisting of one hundred and twenty acres with six messuages and again in the twentieth of Elizabeth the convent with divers properties in the city of Dublin was given to Gerald earl of Ormond forever in free soccage at the yearly rent of 20s Irish money The friars of this house were eminent promoters of literature in those days and in the year 1421 established a school of philosophy and divinity on Usher's island on this occasion it was that they succeeded in erecting a bridge over the Liffey since known as the Old Bridge The Dominicans of Dublin are now engaged in erecting a new and splendid monastery

Priory of St John the Baptist (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 425-6

Priory of St John the Baptist was situated without the west gate of the city Ailred le Palmer about the end of the twelfth century founded this hospital for the sick John Comyn the first English archbishop of Dublin Leonard abbot of St Mary Simon prior of St Thomas and Duvenald prior of All Saints were the witnesses of the act The founder assumed the office of prior AD 1216 Pope Innocent HI granted to Henry the archbishop the patronage of this priory AD 1308 John Decer mayor of Dublin built the chapel of St Mary in this hospital AD 1322 John Walsh was prior AD 1323 John Onextiffe was prior AD 1331 Prior William was appointed lord chancellor of Ireland

1542 a pension was granted to Sir Thomas Everard the late prior of fifteen pounds annually In this house was an infirmary which contained fifty beds for the sick The houses site and possessions together with the priory of St John the Baptist near Drogheda were granted to James Sedgrave merchant of Dublin at the yearly rent of 2s 6d who advanced the sum of 1078 15s 8d to the plunderers In the 35th of King Henry VIII this religious house was granted to Maurice earl of Thomond at the fine of 14 18s 8d Irish and in the sixth of Edward VI it was granted with houses and lands &c to James Sedgrave forever at the annual rent of fifteen shillings

Monastery of Witeschan (Walsh) EDIT

c. xliv p. 421

Monastery of Witeschan of which there is but slight mention made It was situate in the west part of Dublin passing from the cathedral of St Patrick through the Coombe to the pool of the house of St Thomas the martyr There was an order of friars de penitentia who were also called the sac friars Their origin was in the year 1245 and their arrival in Ireland took place in 1268 The order did not long survive it was condemned in England in 1307 and its houses passed into other hands and in 1311 the council of Vienne condemned the order everywhere This monastery of Witeschan may have been of that order

Friday, 17 November 2017

Radio Maria Broadcast

The Catholic Heritage Hour on Radio Maria Ireland has been broadcast for almost a year at 3.20 p.m. on Fridays, with speech programmes and a Holy Mass in the Gregorian Rite alternating from week to week.  This week, the Holy Mass was a Requiem for deceased members and friends of the Catholic Heritage Association.  At least one Mass organised by the Association each year is offered for deceased members, generally many more than that, and at least one Mass organised by the Association each quarter is offered for living members, generally more, with the rest offered for various intentions, the Pope, the Holy Souls, deceased Priests, the intentions of an individual.  Our Association is a family of prayer.





Tuesday, 7 November 2017

Pilgrimage to Rome 2017 (6) - Mass for All Saints

To celebrate the Feast of All Saints one couldn't do better than to be in Rome, surrounded by so many of the relics of the Saints, and upon the ground which so many of them have trod... except perhaps to be in the Roman Church dedicated to All the Saints (or almost so), the Pantheon, which was dedicated to Santa Maria ad Martyres. We had visited the Pantheon on Day 1 of our Pilgrimage, on the eve of All Saints, but include the pictures here.




























Mass for the Feast of All Saints in the Basilica of Sant'Eustachio in Campo Marzio On the Feast of All Saints itself, we came to the Basilica of Sant'Eustachio, only feet away from the Pantheon, for the celebration of Holy Mass and to explore our Catholic heritage in Rome a little further. Although called Sant'Eustachio in Campo Marzio, it is actually in the Rione or District of Sant'Eustachio. Saint Eustachio himself was one of those brave Roman Soldier converts and martyrs. His symbol, the stag with a cross in its antlers, is to be seen all over the Basilica. He is also one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers, to which there was much devotion in the Middle Ages, and well worth recalling on the Feast of All Saints. The Church was founded, perhaps during the reign of Pope St. Gregory the Great, and is certainly mentioned in the reign of Pope Gregory II as a Diaconia, a Deacon's Church or center for Corporal Works of Mercy, and that work continues today with the poor of the area dining in the loggia of the Church each day. The only obvious remnant of the Medieval structure is the impressive campanile. The interior is decorated in a gentle French baroque style.










Monday, 6 November 2017

Pilgrimage to Rome 2017 (5) - Day 1 concluded

The Church of the Gesù
We concluded the first day of our Pilgrimage with our now customary visit to the Church of the Holy Name, The Gesù.  Having visited the Church of Sant'Ignazio it is only a few minutes walk down through the Piazza del Collegio Romano and down the famous Via della Gatta to the other main Jesuit Church in the City, where St. Ignatius lived in the attached House of the Professed, and where he is buried in the beautiful side Altar that is the focus, each evening at 5.30 p.m., of the ceremony of light and music and Scripture and Prayer, the Macchina barocca.  We made it in good time to enjoy the prayerful atmosphere of the Church in fading autumn light, to pray before the High Altar of the Holy Name, at the Chapel of the Madonna della Strada and the Chapel of the Sacred Heart where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved.  There are many echoes between Sant'Ignazio and the Gesù, particularly in the mirroring of the two main transept Altars, St. Ignatius in the Gospel-side and the arm of St. Francis Xavier in the Epistle-side.  Once again, the nave ceiling is a riot of baroque decoration but, in the case of the Gesù, it is more unconventional.  We are not only seeing the Heavens, as it were, through the frame of an open ceiling, but now the celestial (and infernal!) figures are in three dimensions and falling out of the frame and into our dimension.

After experiencing the Macchina barocca we returned to the Istituto Maria Santissima Bambina for Vespers of the Little Office of the Immaculate Conception and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.